[one_half]Roman remains date the location of Staines (Upon Thames) as a settlement and bridging point (of the River Thames) as far back as 43 AD. Neolithic remains date Staines (from the Old English “[the place at the] stone[s]”) moor back even further. The Roman’s referred to the settlement as ‘ad Pontes’ meaning “at the bridges”, and there is evidence to suggest there have been several bridges over the Thames in this locality over the course of history.
Cited as ‘Stanes’ in the Doomsday book of 1086, as being a Property of Westminster Abbey, it had 6 mills and 24 meadows. It is also mentioned in various surviving texts as being the meeting point of the Barons who met King John at Runnymede prior to the signing of the Magnat Carta in 1215.
The civil war of 1642 saw several skirmishes on Staines moor as troops of both sides used the town’s bridge as a crossing point of the river. The previous town hall is the site of a coaching Inn used, by Lieutenant Lapenotiere in 1805, as a horse change point on the Trafalgar Way during his ride to inform the Admiralty of the success of the Battle of Trafalgar and the news of the death of Admiral Nelson.
In 1864, inventor Frederick Walton forms the Linoleum Manufacturing Company and the lino producing factory becomes the major employer of the town until the 1970’s when the factory closes. 1972 sees Staines as the unfortunate location of Britain’s worst natural air accident. In 2011 the council propose a name change and this formally happens in May 2012 when the town becomes known as Staines Upon Thames.
[custom_gallery id=”124″ layout=”sliced”]
All images and content copyright StainesuponThames.com 2013.